Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas, Travel & Spoonbread - 3 clearly related topics

Just hours ago our place was littered with to-do lists and half finished tasks everywhere, I hadn't even finished packing & I was so antsy to get going that I'm pretty sure I was vibrating!  And for some weird reason, I just loved the insanity.  (perhaps I feel at home in the middle of it all?)

We're finally en route and I'm so excited to go see family and spend some time off of work and get on a plane!!!  I can't explain it, but I'm pretty sure traveling has been on my list of favorite things to do since birth.  I'll save that rant for another day though.  For now, in the midst of the craziness, I'd like to share one more recipe off of my Thanksgiving menu with you before we take off - sure, may not be as "healthy" as the other items on there, but it is SO good!!!  (and there is a reason I only make this when I have many mouths to feed... I may or may not will eat the entire thing in one sitting if left to my own devices.)  

And since we're heading south for Christmas and this is my favorite cornbread recipe, it fits in our conversation rather well, if I do say so myself (<--what a bizarre phrase!  where did it come from?).  It's perfectly moist, has a dense almost brownie-like texture, contains just the right amount of sweetness and actually has corn in it (unlike most cornbread), which is ironic because it's referred to as "Spoonbread," not cornbread.  Anyway, enough of my rambling - here is the recipe:


Spoonbread:  The Star on the Cornbread Tree
(in my opnion, at least)

1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
(yes, I cheat & no, I'm not ashamed)
1 egg
1/2 cup melted butter
8 oz of sour cream
(I used the fat free stuff - you can also sub in plain yogurt, I just didn't have any on hand)
14.5 oz can creamed corn

Preheat oven to 425*F. 

Mix ingredients & bake in greased pan for 30 minutes, until browned. 

Take out of oven & cool a bit then enjoy the best cornbread you will ever eat.  


Merry Christmas!!!  
(this will probably be my last post till the new year, so happy new years as well, I guess.)  


(But who knows, maybe I'll take a break from spending time with family, eating great food, keeping warm, enjoying cold but still sunny days, going for fabulously long runs, playing games, drinking coffee made from home-roasted beans, cuddling to watch a movie, having great conversation, doing endless sudoku puzzles, & not paying attention to (or caring) what time it is etc to share some of it with you -- don't worry, I'll be armed with my camera every step of the way and I'm sure there will be lots of stories to tell upon our return.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips