Wednesday, March 2, 2011

simple pleasures...

A couple mornings ago I saw this fellow chillin' on a branch just outside my office building.  He made me think that maybe -just maybe, the worst of winter is behind us.  A small victory, yes, but it was enough to make me smile.


While we're on the topic of little things worth celebrating, I wanted to share this salad I threw together for dinner last night - super easy and super yummy.  The walnuts add an interesting depth of flavor that I really enjoyed.  I imagine leftovers would taste great in a wrap for a vegan/vegetarian lunch option - I'll have to try that next time.

Quick Spinach and Chickpea Salad

{serves 2}

a couple handfuls of baby spinach
1/4c chopped red onion
1 c chickpeas
juice of 1/2 a lemon (probably about 1 tbsp)
a handfuls or two of walnuts, roughly chopped
lemon pepper, to taste

- preheat oven to 350*F

- toast walnuts for about 10 mins or until deeply golden & aromatic

- chop onion + rinse and drain chickpeas (if using canned) while walnuts are toasting

- once walnuts are ready, combine spinach, onion, chickpeas, lemon juice and walnuts then add lemon pepper to taste*

*alternatively, blend chickpeas with walnuts, lemon juice and perhaps some water to thin it out a bit then use as a dressing

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips